The musical selection? MC Solaar. There was a time when the only thing I knew in French was how to command people to get up and rap.
♫ Music Pairing: Lève-toi et rap! ♫
You heard me.
MC Solaar is a French rapper who shares my love of Nas. This track comes from his 2001 album Cinquième As.
- Sourdough bread
- Plenty of butter
- Fig jam (or fresh figs; do your thing!)
- Finely chopped fresh rosemary
- First, freeze your Brie. Why? It makes it easier to chop off the rind. I leave a little rind here and there for flavor, but that’s optional. Chop frozen Brie into chunks (this all just makes it easier to put in the sandwiches).
- In a grill pan (or regular skillet, if you don’t care about grill marks), butter one side of each slice of bread, and grill that. Remove once bread is well grilled.
- Lay slice #1 grilled-side down on a baking sheet, and spread with fig jam, sprinkle some chopped rosemary, and then add some with Brie chunks.
- Lay slice #2 grilled-side down on a baking sheet, and lay down some more cheese. Later you’ll press the two together. See what I did there? Cheese on both sides makes the sandwich stick together nicely.
- Once you’ve assembled them all, and you’re ready to feed your guests, put the sandwiches in a 400 degree oven until cheese is melty and bread is crispy on the outside.
- Take them out of the oven and press slices one and two together. Voilà!