This past Friday night I hosted another Feastly Grilled Cheese night at Chez Moi. Here’s what was on the summery menu that night:
- Roasted Cherry Sangria
- Spicy Mango & Basil Sangria
- Fig & Manchego
- Smoked Cheddar & Roasted Tomato
- BBQ Caramelized Onion & Pepper Jack
- Nectarine, Basil & Blue Cheese
- Banana Bread, Brie & Dark Chocolate
♫ Music Pairing: Funky Jack Flash. ♫
You may know Thelma Houston for this floor-filler; this 1969 version of the Rolling Stones’ “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” is from her debut album, Sunshower.
- Onions, caramelized
- BBQ sauce – everyone seems to have a strong preference. Go with yours.
- Pepper jack cheese
- Sourdough bread
- Plenty of butter
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- First, caramelize the onions.
- Once your onions are done, stir in some BBQ sauce.
- In a grill pan (or regular skillet, if you don’t care about grill marks), butter one side of each slice of bread, and grill that. Remove once bread is well grilled.
- Lay slice #1 grilled-side down on a baking sheet, and lay down a layer of cheese, then spoon on some of your onion and BBQ sauce mixture.
- Lay slice #2 grilled-side down on a baking sheet, and lay down some more cheese. Later you’ll press the two together. See what I did there? Cheese on both sides makes the sandwich stick together nicely.
- Once you’ve assembled them all, put them in a 400 degree oven until cheese is melty and bread is crispy on the outside.
- Take them out of the oven and press slices one and two together.