For Feastly brunch this weekend, I made this salad with edible flowers, along with beautiful speckled pea shoots from Little Wild Things City Farm, grown right here in DC.
It also featured nasturtiums and violas, grown on my balcony, picked that very morning. It doesn’t get much more local than that.
♫ Music Pairing: Soul Flower. ♫
This track comes from one the most FUN hip hop records of the early 1990s, Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde, by, of course, the Pharcyde.
- Mimosa bar
- Local charcuterie and cheese
- Spinach and caramelized onion strata
- Fresh corn and Gruyère soufflé
- Peach and ricotta pizza
- Summer berry and mascarpone pizza
Let’s make a salad! All the ingredients are super delicate flavor-wise, so everything that goes in there counts.
- Organic (definitely!) edible flowers, such as nasturtiums, pansies, violets, and violas
- Pea shoots (optional)
- Field greens (those purple lettuce leaves look great with the flowers)
- Fresh mint leaves
- High-quality olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Juice your lemon, and toss the greens and pea shoots (but not the flowers) with the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Top with mint leaves, and finish with flowers.
- Serve and enjoy!