I served this spring salad at the most recent Grilled Cheese Fest, in order to make us feel less guilty about all that butter.
♫ Music Pairing: keep the beet.♫
Click to listen: Eric B & Rakim – “Keep the Beat”
This track is from Eric B & Rakim’s 1992 farewell album “Don’t Sweat the Technique.”
- Beets, roasted
- Balsamic vinegar
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Walnuts, toasted
- Arugula and/or baby spinach
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Roast them beets!
- Let them cool.
- Slice them into quarters and toss with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, sea salt and pepper.
- Toast the walnuts if not already toasted, and crumble them a bit if they’re whole.
- Toss greens (arugula and/or baby spinach; I used a little of both) with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Top with beets
- Top with walnuts
- Crumble some goat cheese or feta over the top if not feeding vegans.