Wine sandwich?! Yes.
The spring edition of the Grilled Cheese Fest highlights some of my favorite produce just coming into season. Strawberries are in season from about April through June and sometimes through July. Here’s a sweet and savory combo with Gruyère and prosciutto… aka ham and cheese.
THE SPRING SERIES:
- Truffled ricotta and arugula on sourdough
- Dill Havarti and artichoke with basil pesto
- Gruyere and prosciutto with red wine & strawberry compote
- Strawberry basil “shortcake” sandwich for dessert
For our musical selection, here’s a funky something from 1969…
♫ Music Pairing: You Wine Me Up. ♫
Click to listen: M. Bill Coombs – “You Wine Me Up”
This 1969 track from Bill “Bad Child” Coombs was produced by the 60’s french producer/singer Danyel Gerard.
Inspired by Food & Wine.
- Whole grain bread
- Red wine
- Strawberry jam
- Balsamic vinegar
Well… I haven’t quite perfectly worked out the instructions. I kinda made it up. Here’s my best guess as to what the proportions were.
- Roughly chop your strawberries, so that you have about a cup. Put them in a little sauce pan. Add about half a cup of red wine, and a spoonful of strawberry jam and a pinch of salt. Cook it down. When it’s pretty well reduced (chunky, not liquidy), splash in some balsamico. Remember – excess liquid is the ENEMY of grilled cheese!
- Cool. Now you have a sort of sweet/savory compote.
- Now for the bread part, heat a grill pan (or regular skillet, if you don’t care about grill marks), butter one side of each slice, and grill that. Remove once bread is golden-browned and a little crispy.
- Lay slice #1 grilled-side down on a baking sheet, and add a layer of cheese, then your prosciutto, and a spoonful of the wine/strawberry concoction.
- Lay slice #2 grilled-side down on a baking sheet, and add a layer of cheese. Later you’ll press the two together. See what I did there? Cheese on both sides makes the sandwich stick together nicely.
- Once you’ve assembled them all, put them in a 400 degree oven until cheese is melty and bread is crispy on the outside.
- Take them out of the oven and press the two pieces of bread together. Sandwich complete.