Brand new season, brand new recipes!
Hope you weren’t an hour late to something when Daylight Savings took effect… one year I was an hour late to an exam review session during grad school – NEVER AGAIN (not least because now I have an iPhone that automatically makes the change).
In addition to the time change, spring means strawberries, asparagus, artichokes, ramps, beets, peas (and their shoots), arugula, fennel (kinda), morels and other mushrooms, spinach, and a lot of other delicious produce, including new potatoes.
♫ Music Pairing: something Brand New. ♫
Click to listen: DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince – Brand New Funk
This track is from DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince’s (of West Philadelphia fame) 1998 album “He’s the DJ, I’m the Rapper.”
Fun fact: it was the first double album in hip hop history!
This is a great recipe to make with leftover (cold) salmon if you’ve made some the night before.
- New potatoes
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Roast the salmon and the potatoes. Preheat oven to 450 F. Quarter or halve your potatoes, toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast for 10 minutes.
- After the 10 minutes are up, turn the potatoes, and make room for the salmon. Roast for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until salmon is cooked throughout.
- Take everything out of the oven and let it cool.
- Once things are cool, toss arugula and potatoes with olive oil and lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- Break up the salmon and sprinkle it over the top, and then top with chives.