And for dessert,the buttery finale of our grilled cheese fiesta this fall was this debauchery: the banana bread, brie, and dark chocolate grilled cheese sandwich.
It was so decadent it could barely keep itself together. It had to be scooped rather than simply picked up, like the other sandwiches.
THE AUTUMN SERIES:
- Fig and manchego
- Pear and gorgonzola
- Leek and cheddar
- Cranberry and brie
- Banana bread with brie and dark chocolate
This grilled cheese sandwich can only be described like “whoa.”
♫ Suggested listening:like whoa. ♫
Click to listen: Black Rob – “Whoa!”
- Banana bread
- Dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Slice your banana bread, but keep the slices decently thick so the sandwich doesn’t fall apart later. It will anyhow, so don’t worry too much about this part.
- In a grill pan (or regular skillet, if you don’t care about grill marks), butter one side of each slice, and grill that. Remove once bread is well grilled.
- Lay slice #1 grilled-side down on a baking sheet, lay down your cheese slices and sprinkle your chocolate chips.
- Lay slice #2 grilled-side down on a baking sheet, and add a layer of cheese. Later you’ll press the two together. See what I did there? Cheese on both sides makes the sandwich stick together nicely.
- Once you’ve assembled them all, put them in a 400 degree oven until cheese is melted and bread is crispy on the outside.
- Press the two halves together.
- Make your friends very happy indeed!