Before I made this meal, I had a visit from my mom, who brought me some glorious organic produce from home. She is a Master Gardener, and it shows. Mom, and the Garden State, delivered in the highest possible terms – these vegetables were sublime.
I mean, look at those things! The tomatoes, peppers, baby onions, zucchini, yellow squash were all heavenly.
This is the continuation of one of my midsummer menus, which included:
- Grilled shrimp and green onions with romesco sauce
- Shishito peppers with smoked salt
- Grilled vegetables and polenta with tahini yogurt sauce
- Peach frangipane tart
- Tarragon grapefruit cocktail (with tequila!)
♫ Suggested listening: Where I’m From. ♫
Click to listen: Digable Planets – “Where I’m From”
Vegetables and polenta
- 8 oz. tube of polenta, cubed (about 1 inch)
- 1 zucchini, cubed
- 1 yellow squash, cubed
- 1 eggplant, cubed
- Green or red pepper (I had a poblano on hand)
- Onions (either baby ones like I had, or chopped to scale)
- Bunch of cherry/grape tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Big pinches oregano & thyme
Tahini yogurt sauce
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Toss your cubed polenta and vegetables with olive oil, salt and pepper, and herbs. And maybe some lemon zest. Use that whole lemon!
- Skewer them (alternating for a lovely presentation, if you’re serving them on the skewers), and grill over medium heat.
- For the sauce, stir it all up and let it sit for awhile so the flavors can meld.
- Serve vegetables, serve sauce, you’re done!