This salad is all kinds of crispy. You crisp the kale in the oven, and you crisp the garbanzos in a pan. Kale is basically in season year-round, so this salad can be made just about any time.
♫ Musical selection: something crispy. ♫
Click to listen: Crispy & Co. – “Scorpion Flower”
Crispy & Co. was one of the many names of the Lafayette Afro Rock Band. This album, from 1976, was released by Creole Records.
Recipe adapted from A House in the Hills
- 1 large head of curly kale
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (or one can)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons chopped preserved lemon
- 1 lemon
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
- Rinse kale, remove stems, tear into pieces. Toss in just enough olive oil to coat and sprinkle lightly with sea salt.
- Toast kale for 25 minutes or until kale is a good mixture of wilted and crunchy.
- In a sauté pan combine coconut oil (or olive oil, also fine), chickpeas and sea salt. Cook over medium high heat until chickpeas are crispy, stirring frequently, adding paprika, cumin, and preserved lemon at toward the end.
- In a large serving bowl combine kale and chickpeas. Squeeze 1/2 of a lemon over the top, drizzle with a nice high-quality olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Garnish with a few extra slices of lemon and enjoy.