Is it a pizza, or a flatbread? It has mozzarella and basil. I think it qualifies. Plus that’s a pizza cutter, right? OK, it’s a pizza.
♫ Suggested listening: something fun and North African. ♫
Click to listen: Sherine – “Ana Fel Gharam”
Adapted from Alexandra’s Kitchen
- Pizza/flatbread dough
- Preserved lemon, diced
- Garlic, minced
- Olive oil
- Smoked salt (totally optional)
- Cook your pizza or flatbread dough according to whatever recipe you’re using (like the one linked above)
- Take it out of the oven and drizzle it with olive oil. Sprinkle liberally with za’atar minced garlic.
- Distribute your mozzarella around the flatbread (ricotta or goat cheese might also work well).
- Sprinkle with diced preserved lemon.
- Sprinkle with additional za’atar if desired, and also some smoked salt (awesome, but not required).
- Put it back in the oven and bake a little longer, or use the broiler (it gives the cheese that nice charred look like you see in the photos).
- Once the cheese is melted, bubbly, and/or lightly charred, take it out of the oven.
- Garnish with basil leaves and slices of fresh or preserved lemon.