Tiny food is fun. This is part of the birthday dinner I made for a superbad friend of mine. The menu was:
- Zucchini goat cheese rolls with harissa and mint
- Wild rice and blackberry salad
- Capellini with scallops and arugula
- Blackberry, pecan and brie flatbread
As usual, the suggested listening is the first thing that sprang to mind. And for that, I apologize…
♫ Suggested listening: Rollout ♫
Click to listen: Ludacris – “Rollout”
What? I can’t be highbrow and tasteful ALL the time.
Adapted from Blogging Over Thyme
- 2 average-sized zucchini, about 1 lb.
- 8 oz. log o’ goat cheese, room temperature
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh mint
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. harissa
- Few shakes of smoked paprika
OK kids, for this you’re gonna need a mandoline, unless you’re extremely good with a knife. And take it from me… use the dang finger guard.
- Slice your zucchini about 1/8″ thick with the mandoline. Coat lightly with olive oil
- Grill on a pre-heated grill pan, without overcrowding (always a temptation)
- Once they have some nice grill marks on them, remove (carefully, they’re fragile now) to a plate or some such place to cool
- Mash the rest of the ingredients together
- Put a chunk of your goat cheese mixture on a grilled zucchini strip and carefully roll up. Repeat with remaining zucchini strips.
- Plate ’em, then garnish with lemon zest, extra mint leaves, drizzle of olive oil, or whatever your heart desires (I had basil on hand).