This was part of my Mother’s Day brunch menu, along with:
- Spring pea and goat cheese tart
- Almond torte with edible flowers
- Asparagus with pancetta and pine nuts
- Limoncello mimosas
It was a gooood afternoon.
This tart is deceptively easy to make. Read on for details.
♫ Suggested listening: something easy. ♫
Click to listen: Con Funk Shun – “So Easy”
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup grated fontina cheese
- 1 onion or 2 shallots
- 1 tbs butter
- 2 cups mushrooms
- Olive oil
- Thaw your puff pastry!
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment (or use a Silpat) and bake until puffed, about 10 to 13 minutes. Leave the oven on.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice your onion or shallot, heat some olive oil in a pan, and cook until caramelized.
- Add butter and mushrooms, cook until everything looks brown and delightful.
- Top puff pastry with mushroom and onion mixture, and sprinkle with shredded fontina.
- Put it back in the oven, and leave it in there for another 5 minutes or so, or until cheese has just melted.
- Take it out, let it cool, sprinkle with parsley and chopped chives.
- Serve to your hungry friends!