It’s Mommy’s Day!
My mom is in town for Mother’s Day! That means… make a big ole brunch and invite ALL the friends!
Enough text. Here’s more cake.
As you may know, I am not a confident baker. However, when I saw this recipe from Chez Panisse, I knew I had to make it. And I put some edible flowers up top (I did not raid the landscaping from the neighboring buildings… I got them at Whole Foods) to make it extra spring-y and mom-tacular.
♫ Music pairing: something with flowers. ♫
Click to listen: Talking Heads – “(Nothing But) Flowers”
- 1¼ cups sugar
- ⅞ cup (7 oz./200g) soft almond paste (aka 1 tube)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) softened unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. almond extract (optional)
- 6 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 cup (4.5 oz/130g) flour
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt (unless you used salted butter; then you can leave it out)
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Edible flowers (pansies, marigolds, violets)
- If you have no edible flowers, strawberries are in season!
Now that you’ve got your cast of characters, here’s how you put em all together.
Here’s a fun fact – you can make this whole thing in a food processor. But if you don’t have one, or if yours was misbehaving this morning like mine was (!), you can make it the old fashioned way in a mixing bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- Beat the sugar with the almond paste until the almond paste is in fine pieces. Beat in the butter and the vanilla, then cream the mixture until it is light and fluffy.
- Beat in the whole eggs, one at a time , beating well after each addition so the eggs are thoroughly mixed in.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt, and beat in just until thoroughly blended.
- Butter a 9-inch springform pan and pour in the batter, smoothing the top evenly.
- Bake for 1 to 1¼ hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the center feels springy when you push it gently. If you’re that brave. I’m not, I was afraid I would murder it if I touched it.
- Let cool for about 20 minutes before releasing the sides of the springform pan.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, and top with flowers! Or seasonal fruit, if you like.
- Now pour your mama a mimosa!