These cookies are the joint. If eating better is one of your New Year’s resolutions, these cookies are a treat that you won’t feel too guilty about. If you’re wheat-free or just have a bunch of food allergies, give these a try.
♫ Music pairing: Let’s Start that New Year’s resolution… with some Ginger.♫
Click to listen: Fela Kuti and the Africa ’70 with Ginger Baker – “Let’s Start”
This album was recorded in 1971 by Fela Kuti’s band Africa 70, with the addition of former Cream drummer Ginger Baker on two tracks.
This recipe comes from Gourmand in the Kitchen.
- 1 cup almond butter
- 3 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger root
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- Line two inverted baking sheets with parchment paper (the pocket of air underneath helps prevent burning), so that the cookies don’t stick and so they don’t taste like your roommate’s teriyaki chicken marinade.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat together the almond or sunflower seed butter, molasses, eggs and ginger until smooth.
- Into a medium bowl, mix coconut sugar, coconut flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, salt and pepper.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the almond butter mixture until just combined.
- Drop the dough by the rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart on the parchment paper and bake, rotating the cookie sheets halfway through, until firm around the edges and starting to crack in the center (the cookies will look slightly puffed but will flatten and crackle more as they cool), about 8 minutes or so.