Tonight is Oscar night! That means red carpets, acceptance speeches, and most importantly: Oscar parties and food.
I’ve been asked to bring something sweet, and am bringing these cookies which come from the lovely Jamie at My Baking Addiction.
The nominees are: ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, black pepper, and allspice.
Confession: this is my second attempt at these cookies. The first time, I used only one of the two sticks of butter called for in this recipe. This was an error in judgment. My intention was to make my friends happy, not to make them DIE happy. Please don’t tell Paula Deen.
♫ Suggested listening: something by MIA. ♫
Click to listen: M.I.A. – “Galang”
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened (that’s 2 sticks)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper so that your cookies don’t taste like your roommate’s recipe for teriyaki chicken.
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
3. In a medium bowl combine sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, allspice and black pepper. Remove 1/4 cup of the sugar-spice mixture, set aside to reserve for rolling the cookies.
4. Beat the butter and sugar-spice mixture until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes (Jamie calls for an electric mixer; I don’t have one and mine turned out just dandy).
5. Beat in egg and vanilla extract, combine until fully incorporated.
6. Slowly blend in dry ingredients mixing until just combined.
7. Roll dough into balls of approximately two tablespoons each and then into the reserved sugar-spice mixture. They should look about like this:
8. Place dough balls on prepared baking sheet about 1 1/2 inches apart.
9. Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
10. Let stand on baking sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.
11. Walk down that red carpet with your bad self and your cookies.